Vanessa was recently asked to be a panelist at a Skanka’s Women’s Network event with a topic of ‘Knowing your personal brand.” The event turned into an in depth discussion covering industries, personal experiences and best practices for building, maintaining and promoting your own brand. The panel was moderated by Mendy Mazzo, VP of Business Development for Skanska, with panelists Erin Hubert, CEO of Boys & Girls Clubs, Minea Moore, Head of Global Supplier Diversity & Inclusion at Intel, Maureen Fisher of SOLVE and Vanessa.
Here are 10 important tips the panel shared with the audience.
1. Be authentic.
2. Walk your talk. As in, be true to your word and do what you say you’re going to do.
3. As a manager or leader, create an environment where everyone can be safe and be themselves.
4. Drive inclusion by offering help to others, by being a mentor, and by coaching.
5. Get help from others by inviting all feedback and know how you react is critical. Ask for 360 feedback on your leadership.
6. Take risks. Of these amazing four women who have seen great professional growth, each one of them has taken big risks in their careers. From dropping out of law school to work for a family business, to saying no to a major promotion, to quitting a well-paid job to balance home life.
7. Help others find their own voice.
8. You can be a leader from wherever you are. Raise your hand and take opportunities. Have the vision of what you want to do. Don’t be afraid to promote yourself.
9. Being a true leader means you want to help others grow. Bring your team along with you.
10. And, DON”T get caught up in the drama.